Monday 11 January 2010

Skyscraper in my childhood memories



Ankara, the capital city of my country, and also Ankara is the heart of the politics; and the parliment, I mean, the Turkish Grand National Assembly is in Ankara. Ankara is the city of bureaucrats, politicians, ambassadors, diplomatic, etc. But Ankara is also the city of the art too. Especially teather and opera and ballet. Actually Ankara is not like Istanbul, Istanbul is a very big city and you can be lost, spreading on both continents, European and Asian sides and to go somewhere else from one to other side takes hours in the traffic. But in Ankara, (was) is easy to go to somewhere else!!!!! Yes, it was like that but today, that I noticed, they made all roads so complicated, and you turn and turn to find to the right way. Like moles, they build roads and tunnels underground of the main streets of the city. The traffic lights made me crazy too because you can't recognize which one is on!!!! And the signboards are another point that weren't understood well. But the good one is wherever you go and even been lost in the city, all ways take you to the center of the city.

There was a sunny winter day in our first day in the city. But there was also a kind of misty weather too, it can be air pollution, it wasn't clear...

The first photograph, the building, ah, this was the one in my memories, the highest building that I have seen at first time when we visited Ankara, I was a little child and I remember how made me so excited, I was too small and the building was too high :) I can still remember the feelings of looking from the down to the up! But there was another memory too for this highest building in this city, we were (my parents and me) always going to have a dinner during holidays, and it was delicious to eat "Talaş Böreği" * (meat kebab with puff pastry filling)... I think I have never tasted then such a nice one like that in my life. It was the name of this building "Gökdelen" in Turkish (= skyscraper, it is exactly the same means) there is a list in this link that is shown the skyscrapers of Ankara, the first one which I am talking about and which I took its picture, "Skyscraper Kizilay 1959"
* Talas Boregi : if you click this link and if you go down the end of the page you can find more details about this delicious meal :)

No comments:

Post a Comment