Sunday 10 January 2010

From Istanbul to Ankara


*
It was 1966 that we moved to Istanbul from Anatolia; my homeland was a small town of the capital city, Ankara. Actually we lived a very short time in Ankara too before moving to Istanbul. I never forget the day that we left the city and the journey from Ankara to Istanbul… We lived all seasonal weather changes on this road. It was during winter, and there was snow and ice on the road, and the road was going up to the mountains Mount Bolu and Gerede). Traffic policemen didn’t let cars, tracks without snow chains, except us! Because my Dad’s car was Volkswagen… (because of its design; it was designed with the engine in the back!) but I remember it was a time for all of us, we were breathless in the car, my Dad was driving very slowly. Then snow and ice finished, but this time there was a heavy fog! We couldn’t see the road… so we stopped but it was a fearful time again. The fog finished then the rain made us to stop again, it was raining so fastly and we waited. At the end, we saw the blue sky and sun, it was like a summer days… Yes, when we saw the sea (The Marmara Sea) the weather changed nicely… Then we were happy because it was a tiredness for all us in the car, in this journey. Istanbul was welcoming us with a sunny day...
*
Yes, from the time in 1966 till this weekend, I haven’t visited Ankara, and my homeland town too. When my husband offered me to make a short journey, I was so excited. But the weather made me to think once again. Because of my old memories in the past… The weather forecast was amazing for this weekend, it was said that it would be 14 C degrees even in Istanbul would be 19 C degrees… It was unbelievable. But yes, it was true. We lived as they said.
*
So, it is a kind of nostalgic journey for me, my feelings, my memories and my love, my longing… they were all so impressive for this journey, and I was so excited to see the city of my childhood… Of course in times, should have been changed so many things, I should be ready for all these changes…
*
Ankara 399 km.

No comments:

Post a Comment