Wednesday 20 January 2010

Night and City Lights


"Can Kitabevi" is one of the well known bookstores and also publishers. While I was walking at Istiklal Avenue, my eyes caught this little boy and I wanted to take his picture. He was the most beautiful thing that I have seen at that night in the city. He made me so happy... I love readers... I love books... especially such as this little boy :) It was amazing.

Yes, the symbol of Istanbul and Istiklal Avenue this tram! This never changed. And as always children and some young people love to go behind it... We have only on this direction, I mean, along the Istiklal Avenue, goes and comes... Nostalgic also. When I was in Milano, I saw there was there too but the colours are different and they have more than us.

Istiklal Avenue (İstiklal Caddesi = means, independence street)... Every time in a day you can find crowded. This street is one of the popular and famous ones. First of all its historical part is great; there are a lot of historical buildings and events. Writers, poets, artists, journalists, photographers,...etc. so many famous people left their names to this old street. There are so many stories in these old buildings and also the side roads of this street. Even in my own memories about Istiklal Avenue, I have some stories that I lived and never forget. When I look to the past, I can see this, it changed so many times with the changing face of my country, but it was always the place for bookstores, music, art, entertainment, and bar/cafe, cinema and theatre... For me, the heart of the city beats in this street. Because without art, without literature, without music how can a city stay alive...?

Pera Museum... It was the first time Chagall is here with the collection of "Life and Love"

Down the street, Golden Horn! Before the sunset time I tried to capture the early colours of night! I love this time for photography. There is an amazing blueness in the sky... and everything seems so magical and everything has one name; Nocturne... I can hear the drummers behind me, the night begins...

Again from port... Ferryboat comes... and the pilot boat waits for the night works :) The Bosphorus can be dangerous for captains sometimes and they take help from these pilot boats. Every year we hear an accident at the Bosphorus, that a ship crashed to the houses at the land...

Ferryboat... we are waiting for ferryboar at the port. They come and go... But there are too many cars at that time :)

Galata Tower and Karakoy port (Istanbul Port)... It was raining and also it was cold. I always love to look Galata Tower from this side. But one day in the past, we were invited to his home by our greatest musician Okay Temiz. He was living at that time, near the Galata Tower in one of old buildings, which was also so historical one. And there was a large terrace at the top of the building. There wasn't any light except the sky and the city lights down the terrace! The view was amazing. We could see the port and the cruise ships and also we could see Topkapi Palace and Golden Horn too... and behind all these beautiful views, the Marmara Sea was seen under the starry nights of Istanbul. I was fascinated so much... Just watching and listening to the city! But there were also seagulls around us, how beautifully they were flying around the minarets... and they were like a white fairies on this clear sky. I was like a drunk without drinking anything :)

I am in the car now. And it was raining... With the raindrops this mosque seemed to me amazing.

The view from the place where Pera Palace is... Behind the houses, Golden Horn seems...

No comments:

Post a Comment