Monday 1 March 2010

A Different Day

Today, it was a clear weather before the lunch time and there was a lovely sunny day. But then gray clouds covered the city and the colours changed in the light and shadows. But it was a lovely touches of this sunny day, we all miss. When I went to the port for acrossing the other side, European side, I saw the new ships. IDO (Istanbul Sea Buses Industry) bought some new ships for the sea lines of the city. Of course the old ones are so nostalgic and they are also like a symbol of Istanbul. But I loved these new ones... At the square, before going to the port, I noticed the flowers that were all in the baskets of gypsy flower sellers, so beautiful... Especially these hyacinths, pink, white and lilac! Their beautiful smells was spreading in the air and they fascinated me. I bought a bouquet of them. In my hand, I was smelling.
*
At the window, there were a flock of seagulls and they were flying so nicely, up and down and sometimes they were touching to the surface of the sea... How I felt sad that I left my camera at home. To be honest, I hesitate to go out with my camera alone. Once I lived such a bad event, and I can't forget this. But I should go and do this. With a fear can't be lived and also my husband he doesn't want me to feel as if not free. But I know he is not relax when I go out... But today, I noticed that everybody has his/her cameras and the city was crowded and also security seemed good too... Today I really felt so regretful about my camera, next time I will take with me. But I should say this, under the gray clouds/skies the sea, the Bosphours are not seen nice; everything gets lost their colours in the light and shadows... And the city seems as a melancholy! But in any case the best one and the most beautiful one was the flight of seagulls... I can't believe them, they fly from one side to other side (Anatolian/Asian side and European side) with ships... You can see every ship has a fluck of seagulls This is amazing view. I wish to take their pictures, I hope I can take a nice one, I remember my photographer friends' advises and words, especially dear Garry and dear Zeke. But yes, I know, it won't be easy. Because they are so many and they are not flying in a line, they fly so crazily and also they are so fast!!!! But if I can take a nice flight I would be the most happy one The first picture is the old ship and the second one the new ship that I have been there today. By the way no photographs from me today these are taken from newspaper news.

When I came to the port of European side (Eminönü where dear Zanzi can remember this area, it is also known as Sirkeci. This port near to the Sirkeci Train Station )I walked to the upward of the road... There was a photography exhibition and I wanted to visit this one. Black and white. Tersane-i Amire (Haliç(Golden horn) Shipyard) Photo Exhibition.
*
"Founded in 1455 by Sultan Mehmet Fatih-i Amire Shipyard today to continue the existence with the name of the Golden Horn shipyard, the ship provides the vast sea meet. Despite the size, in its own private world living away from us and its own silent story. We were the witness of this unique maritime history with the photography that we have our own perspective. Shipyard's magical escape from the life of the time, workers appear to be untimely in a view, belong to this world was not a strong feeling, but the temperature can be felt into the mystery. We tried to capture all these stories. Tersane-i Amire - An exhibition of the Golden Horn in our shipyard for a year at the Golden Horn Boatyard and shipyard that were all taken from their own stories of the workers. We selected 32 black and white photographs for this exhibition. Our endless thanks for our friends who share our excitement of this very special offer with us."
by the photographers of this exhibition, Tuğba Kırallı & Bekir Tuğcu.
*
I am impressed so much by these black and white photographs. Especially there were some photographs that there were some workers into the dark shadows but also with the mirror reflections... I am looking for these photographs that I can post here too. But my criticism for this exhibition, not for the photographs or photographers, but for the exhibition hall and its place. There was a very bad reflection of the day light from the windows, even it was a dark day today. When I told this, someone came and closed the window blinds... The other point was the place of this hall! Not in a right place for me, should be in around Taksim or Beyoğlu (Pera)... In the center of art world of this city. But this is my opinion. Otherwise these photographers fascinated me that I met new.
the new ship...
the old one... but they work still.
Then, I walked down again to the sea side and I crossed the bridge (Galata Bridge), over the Golden Horn...
*
*
I always pass this bridge by car, it has been such a long time that I didn't walked on the bridge. Maybe some of you, can remember, once I posted a photograph of some amateur fishermen at the bridge... Yes, this was the Galata Bridge. And there were so many fishermen again. These fishermen are also another symbol of this city I was walking but for a while I stopped and watched the Spice Bazaar, or Egyptian Bazaar(Turkish: 'Mısır Çarşısı'),it is one of the oldest bazaars in the city. I can say it is the second largest covered shopping complex after the Grand Bazaar. And also I watched the Yeni Cami (New Mosque) too... New Mosque means doves... because there are always doves around the building. And also people who feed them. In the architecture of Ottoman Empires, bird palaces was amazing. The first one is Galata Bridge and Eminönü, Sirkeci side is seensecond one is the birds of New Mosqueand the last one, one of the bird palaces that was made during Ottoman period. I forgot to talk about the fishes... While I was walking along these fishermen, I watched them too. Seemed that they were all lucky about fishes... It was unbelievable their buckets were full of fishes! This should be so nice for them but one of them jumped from the bucket and it was alive. I couldn't stand to see how struggling to stay alive and in my mind, something fastly hit me and I wanted to throw it back to the sea But I can't imagine these fishermen, how would be their reactions!!! So I escaped from there very fastly...
And then, I went to the metro (Karaköy Tünel), it takes you to the square of the city, Taksim! You can watch here,
*
http://www.visitistanbul.org/index.p...o-taksim-video
*
This is the first and the oldest one in the city and very short but it makes great because from down to the up taking you, I mean from the sea side it takes you to the hill... you can find more about this tunnel in here.
*
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%C3%BCnel
*
But I love this tunnel... It is also so nostalgic for our, for the citizens... I love its old smell too. Even they restorated new and the walls covered by traditional Turkish tiles...When I reached to the up, to the Beyoğlu (Pera), the sun was behind the gray clouds. But not rained. I was happy for this I walked to one of my bookstores, I love this bookstore. And I can find all books in there. Even it is very well place for tourists too. There are so many books in different languages, this is another point why I love. I remember in Milan, how long I looked for to find a book in English!!!!! They don't sell, you can find just in a few places, language! This is another point to talk For another time."Robinson Crusoe" the name of my bookstore "It is a bookstore with a distinctive style of its own, located in Pera (Beyoğlu), on Istiklal Street, no. 389. A warehouse established in September 1994 containing choice books. An archive where books are displayed and accessible to all. A town square, the gathering point not only of those who look and listen but of those who see and hear as well. A library where one goes not only for buying books but also to search for them and ask about them and browse around, sniffing the pages of and encountering, discovering and even writintg books."On the way of home, I bought again flowers, smelling ones and I can't believe in the sea-bus I started to nod off.... Tired but it was a nice day. As if I explored once again my city. Maybe I missed to breathe into the living streets... Maybe you wonder what happened to the first bouquet of the flowers I gave it to the girl in the exhibition hall...

No comments:

Post a Comment